This is a perfect combination right in between the two seasons, the end of the season for Bitter Squash and the early season for Pear. Pickled them together for Umami, mild bitterness and sweetness.
1 Bitter Squash
1 C Vinegar
1/2 C Water
1/4 C White wine
2 T Sugar
1/2 t Salt
1. Seed and clean Bitter Squash and cut into 2 inches sticks. Rub with salt, wash and pat dry.
2. Core a Pear and cut into 6 pieces.
3. Place Bitter Squash and Pear pieces in a sterilized bottle.
4. Mix all ingredients of the pickling liquid in a pan and bring to the boil. Pour
into the bottle with Bitter Squash and Pears.
5. Close with a cap and place in a refrigerator. It will keep for about two weeks.