Potage Soup is a good way to enjoy the flavor of Gobo. This recipe leaves some chunky pieces to enjoy the texture of Gobo as well.
1 whole root (about 1/2 Ib) Gobo
1 whole potato
1/2 pack Maitake mushroom
1/2 pack Shimeji mushroom
4 pieces Shiitake mushroom
1 clove Garlic
1 T E.V.O.O.
2-1/2 C Chicken broth
1 C Milk
A pinch Sugar
1.Wash Gobo with brush well. Cut in 1/4 inch thick round slices.
Break mushrooms into chunky pieces. Cut Potato 1/4 inch cubic pieces.
2. Flavor E.V.O.O. with garlic in a pan with medium heat, add and sauté Gobo and potatoes in that order.
3. Add mushrooms and continue to sauté a bit. Add chicken broth and cook for about 10 min.
4. Take out about 1/3 of chunky pieces and smooth with hand held mixer for the rest.
5. Add back the chunky pieces and add milk.
6. Add Salt, Pepper, and Sugar to taste.